Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The Goodbye

We made arrangements for the girls' aunt Melissa to pick them up on a Friday. We didn't know her very well, but B had told me great things about her. She used to take the girls on the weekends when they were living with their grandparents. She took them to the zoo and her sons' baseball games and they had movie nights together every Friday night. They are a great family and the girls adore them.
I kept telling myself during the weeks leading up to the goodbye that this was what I signed up for. I would do whatever was best for the girls. Foster parenting isn't about me, it's about the kids.
The girls had several garbage bags full of new clothes, bedding, toys, and all of the other goodies they got while living with us. We walked the girls out to the car and hugged them goodbye at the car. Dave and I were both crying a lot. B asked us why we were crying. I guess we didn't prepare her enough for the goodbye. She was so happy to be going to live with her relatives, she didn't understand why we would be sad. Dave and I walked back to the house, holding onto each other, just sobbing. We cried for awhile, and then we got dinner and watched Psych together, which is what we always used to do before the girls came to us. It was unreal. It was like the past three weeks had never happened. We were back to what we were used to.
I wasn't as sad as I had expected to be, and it was because I was still hopeful that the girls' birth mother wouldn't get them back and their relatives wouldn't be able to adopt them and they would come back to us. I was so hopeful it was almost a surety.

No comments:

Post a Comment