Wednesday, June 13, 2012

New Jobs

Dave and I both have new jobs!
I am now the Workplace ESL Coordinator at the English Skills Learning Center. I've worked there for the past 4 years, mostly doing administration; training and supervising volunteers who teach ESL to low-income beginning English Language Learners. I've been jealous of our volunteers for a long time. Now, I get to be part of the fun! Companies hire us to teach English to their employees on-site and so I travel to different companies in the valley to teach those classes. The focus is on improving employees' English to allow them more opportunities within their current companies and to increase their safety and effectiveness at work. I started teaching my first class two weeks ago at the Deseret Industries (a thrift store). I have twelve students who are all refugees from either Burma or Bhutan. Most of them speak very little English and some are not literate in their native language. We experience small successes in class such as learning the letters of the alphabet, introducing yourself, and recognizing different colors. It is so fun and rewarding and what I envision myself doing long-term.
Some staffing changes at Dave's work have provided him with the opportunity to learn more about website maintenance and design. He's learning yet another computer language (CSS) and he's really succeeding at it. So, although he doesn't have a new desk or job title, Dave's job is developing in response to his demonstrated skill at quickly picking up new concepts and excelling in his current position.
Dave has also picked up a second job. It's unpaid and part-time. Okay, it's a calling at church. He's the Young Men's President! He has been serving with the Young Men for the past two years and has really bonded with them. We like to say that we are tag-teaming it with the youth in our ward since I was only released as Young Women's President a couple of months ago.

1 comment: